Japanese dragon tattoo is one of the traditional Japanese tattoo art which I have discussed earlier. Japanese dragon is a very beautiful and colorful tattoo design and very symbolic, with its origins in myths and folklore. It is also very mystical, adding to the appeal of the Japanese dragon tattoo. Over the ages, from Egyptian times the dragon has represented good and also represented evil. However, the attraction of the Japanese dragon, apart from its stunning beauty is that it represents good luck and the source of wealth. The Japanese dragon also represents the meaning of freedom and being fearless, both very attractive qualities.
Like an angel, Japanese dragon tattoo also has the meaning of guardianship, providing a protective force over those it was associated with. Other meanings associated with the Japanese dragon is strength and power. In Japanese culture the dragon is associated with supernatural powers, and amazing wisdom.
There are six forms of the Japanese dragon tattoo. They are:
- Sui-Riu is the king Dragon and is in control of the rain. Therefore in this day and age of drought he is all powerful!
- Han-Riu has many stripes on his body and is up to forty feet in length. One of the biggest dragons.
- Ri-Riu dragon is a rare breed that is not well understood. However, it is known that they have amazing eye sight.
- Ka-Riu is a brilliant red color, and a petite dragon in comparison with the others.
- Fuku-Riu is a favorite dragon of many people as it is the dragon of luck.
- Hai-Riyo is known as the dragon bird, and the most advanced form of dragon. It evolved out of Chinese mythology.
The colors of the dragons have special significance, which are based on their parents. For example a dragon with a black color means their parents are very old and wise. Green dragons are smaller than average, but are representative of life and of the earth. Gold colored dragons are special because they have many special attributes such as wisdom, kindness and the ability to face challenges head on.
Yellow dragons represent the east. They are great companions when you need a hand, but can be self absorbed at times. Blue dragons are from the west. They are forgiving and compassionate, but on the negative side can be lazy and uncaring when it suits them.
Finding the right Japanese Tattoo Design for you can be quite daunting, especially if you look it up in the search engines. I have some basic ideas of tattoo dragon designs that could possibly be your inspiration in its modification. Please check the Gallery of Japanese dragon tattoo under this post.